Russia forcibly passports Ukrainians in the occupied territories. The Center for Strategic Communications analyzes the threats and explains what Ukraine’s response will be
Russians distribute passports most actively in the south of Ukraine – in the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions. The enemy persuades people to apply for Russian citizenship according to a simplified procedure, instead Ukrainian passports are confiscated.
Why does the Russian Federation distribute passports to Ukrainians?
– The passporting of the population is directed against Ukrainian sovereignty and is preparation for the annexation of the captured territories.
– the Kremlin uses the population of the occupied territories as a resource to replenish the ranks of the Russian army.
– Newly minted “Russian citizens” can be forcibly “evacuated” to Siberia, the Trans-Urals, the Far East and other depressed regions of the Russian Federation.
How will Ukraine react to the actions of the Russian invaders?
– Ukraine does not recognize the forced automatic acquisition of Russian citizenship by residents of temporarily occupied territories. Forced passporting is not a reason to lose Ukrainian citizenship.
– Ukraine is not going to punish citizens who were forced to take a Russian passport.
– At the same time, officials, employees, law enforcement agencies, judges and other citizens who voluntarily obtain Russian citizenship for the purpose of working in the occupation administration and other forms of cooperation with the enemy will be held accountable for their actions.
– The authorities of Ukraine recommend the civilian population to leave the occupied territories. It should be remembered that the occupation is temporary, and the Ukrainian army will liberate the territory captured by the enemy.
How far the Russians have advanced and what the Russian Federation is violating by carrying out forced passporting – read in the material on the website of the Center for Strategic Communications.