Starting from Tuesday, 03/01/2022, in the evening and at night, the KGB of the Republic of Belarus, in cooperation with mobile operators UE “A1”, JLLC MTS, CJSC BEST, is attempting to massively hack the Telegram messenger of users of Belarusian mobile operators.
The principle of a hacking attempt: the KGB clones a SIM card, then another device is registered from its device. An SMS message with an access code arrives on a device in which a cloned SIM card is installed or is intercepted by special equipment and the KGB get full access to the correspondence.
At the same time, Telegram reports new active sessions and connected devices.
Such access is carried out at night, in the hope that the account owner will not respond to the SMS message and the KGB will have enough time to download and study the correspondence.
To prevent unauthorized access, you must:
- Set up two-factor authentication (Settings > Privacy > Two-factor authentication);
- To recover a forgotten password, you can specify an email address in the same menu, but this is not recommended. It is much easier to get unauthorized access to mail than to a Telegram account. So develop your memory.
- Check existing active sessions and disable suspicious ones (Settings > Privacy > Active sessions);
- Keep important and confidential correspondence in a secret chat with a timer function (deleting messages after a set period of time);
- Periodically clear the cache yourself (Settings> Data and disk> Disk usage> Clear cache);
- Disable save to gallery (Settings > Save to gallery).
Please note that the KGB of the Republic of Belarus has full access to the encryption keys of the Viber messenger.
Live Belarus! Glory to Ukraine!
Chatbot of the PERAMOGA plan: https://t.me/plan_peramoga_bot
E-mail of the CAC: firstname.lastname@example.org