Our comrade-in-arms, Hero of Russia, Sergei Dyachenko, has been awarded the rank of “Colonel-General”.

Sergey Vladimirovich is the Deputy Director of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation.  Prior to that, he headed the special forces of the Presidential Security Service.

He was one of the leaders of Directorate “A” of the Special Purpose Center of the FSB of Russia.  As part of the unit, he participated in many special operations to free hostages and neutralize terrorists, including in Budyonnovsk, on Dubrovka (“Nord-Ost”) and in Beslan.  His personal contribution to ensuring the security of our country was marked with high state awards.
Congratulations on your new military rank!

International Association of Veterans
anti-terror unit “Alpha”



genus.  10/03/1964 in the town of Piryatin, Poltava region of the Ukrainian SSR

Dyachenko Sergey Vladimirovich was born on October 3, 1964 in the town of Pyriatyn, Poltava region, Ukrainian SSR.  His biography is like thousands of biographies of his peers.
Sergey grew up in a working-class family, his grandfathers died at the front during the Great Patriotic War.  At the age of eight, Sergei went to school # 31 in the town of Pyryatin.  After graduating from eight classes, in 1980 he entered the agricultural college.  As in school, I studied at “good” and “excellent”.  There was still time for sports.

In 1984, Sergei completed his studies at the technical school and was drafted into the army.  Two years passed quickly.  But even during the service, Sergei decided that he would be a border guard.  He believed that only warriors in green caps carry out real military service every day.  After serving urgently, Sergei Dyachenko in August 1986 entered the Moscow Higher Border Command School.  Cadet Dyachenko was distinguished for his diligence, inquisitiveness, calmness and prudence.  He was appointed deputy platoon commander and promoted to senior sergeant.  Despite the workload, Sergei managed to go in for athletics and freestyle wrestling.
Four years of knowledge of border sciences ended for Sergei at a time when the collapse of the Soviet Union was already beginning.
In 1990, having passed state exams and received a diploma, Lieutenant Dyachenko, at his personal request, was sent to a special unit of the KGB of the USSR – the legendary Group “A”.  Having said goodbye to the school, which became a family over the years of study, the young officer left for a new place of service.  He had to master parachute, diving and mountain training, orientation in unfamiliar terrain and other special sciences.  Studying and service helped S. Dyachenko to become independent, developed the ability to make quick and clear decisions in any situation.  The officer took part in many operations carried out by members of the special forces.
In 1996, Sergei Dyachenko graduated from the FSB Academy and continued to serve in the unit.
Business trips to the North Caucasus were not easy.  During one of them, Sergei Vladimirovich and his colleagues were entrusted with the protection of the future first president of Chechnya, Akhmat-Khadzhi Kadyrov.
Here is what the deputy chief (at that time) of one of the combat departments of Directorate “A” Oleg Lutsenko recalled about those events:
“When we first sent our personnel to the Chechen village of Tsentoroi, where Akhmat-Khadzhi Kadyrov lived, there were, of course, certain fears, because the seven Alpha members had to live with the Chechens, who were considered militants yesterday, according to our concepts,” says Oleg Vladimirovich.  “But we understood that we were talking about a new Chechnya, about its new leader, about the establishment of peace and tranquility on this land.
Not everyone liked the establishment of peace – a wave of terrorist acts went against Kadyrov.  There were provocations from different sides: they would fire at the helicopter in which it was supposed to fly, then mined the road on which it was going to go.  Seven brave alphas had to foresee any danger and react to it in time.  And if suddenly something happens – to share the fate of the protected person.  The head of the seven was Sergey Dyachenko, whose professionalism Oleg Vladimirovich still speaks of in an excellent degree.
– He has incredible wit, deep operational thought, vast experience, – characterizes his former subordinate Lutsenko.  – In the entire system of our power structures, no one can compare with him in the level of professionalism in the spetsnaz case.  He is a Hero of Russia and today continues to serve in Directorate A of the Special Purpose Center.
In September 2004, being the deputy head of one of the combat departments of Directorate A, Colonel Sergei Dyachenko took part in the hostage rescue operation in Beslan.  On September 3, during a special operation, S. Dyachenko was wounded in his right leg, in connection with which he was evacuated to a military hospital.
The son of Sergei Vladimirovich, who is studying at a military institute, decided to follow his father’s path.
The service and exploits of Sergei Vladimirovich are evidenced by his awards: eight orders and medals, including two Orders of Courage.  These state awards testify to the determination, courage and courage of S.V.  Dyachenko.  He is not verbose, speaks with restraint and concise.
In October 2002, terrorists took hostages at the theater center on Dubrovka.  Colonel S. Dyachenko also took part in the destruction of the bandits as part of his unit.  He, as the senior officer on duty of the Department “A”, was one of the first to arrive at the place of the future special operation.  The initiative, self-control and strong will shown by Sergei Vladimirovich at critical moments during the release of the hostages contributed to the success of the operation.
The head (at that time) of one of the combat departments of Directorate “A” Alexander Mikhailov recalls:
– In the evening, together with the veteran of Group “A” Igor Orekhov, we were returning home in his car, when I received an alarm on my pager: “Urgently arrive at the department!”  The duty officer gave me an order from Major General Andreev to urgently arrive at Dubrovka Street.  I quickly armed myself, took an assault rifle, magazines, a pistol, a knife and a notebook.  None of us even knew what happened and what kind of place on Dubrovka we need …
Having passed through the cordon, I examined the square gray block of the theater building with a blue sign on the facade: “Nord-Ost”.  Above her, the moon hung in an eerie yellow hole in the black sky.  At the headquarters, Sergei Dyachenko and I were tasked with looking around, conducting reconnaissance and working on ways to enter the theater building.  In the gloom of the damp night, courtyards, observing all sorts of precautions, we made our way to one of the annexes of the theater complex.  There we found a bartender who provided very useful information: from this room there was a passage into the theater hall.  Only to isolate the club from the theater territory, this exit has long been bricked up.  With the help of a knife and a kind word, Sergei Dyachenko and I sawed through a window in the plasterboard false wall, behind which there really was … BRICK Masonry.  This did not embarrass us, but on the contrary, inspired vague hope.  Because the theater building itself was built of CONCRETE … At that time, calls came from the auditorium.  The audience called themselves, despite the terrorists’ demand to hand over their mobile phones.  Among them was our colleague, an FSB officer, who immediately began to provide the headquarters with valuable information, reporting the approximate number of hostages and terrorists, saying that among them there were women with suicide belts, as well as what and how these scoundrels mined.
We continued looking for alternative approaches and decided to probe the roof of the building.  Intuition dictated that there should be attic windows and a path through them.  And so it turned out.  Here is the attic, here is the window.  I shone my flashlight inward, but didn’t notice anything.
The next morning we climbed onto the same roof again.  To my amazement, we found people in the attic.  These were the workers of the theatrical complex.  Four.  Everyone is in the strongest shock, very frightened.  Among them was a man with epilepsy.  It was at this time that he had a seizure.  With all the precautions, they let the poor man down, where the ambulance had already received him.  All this time we were covered by sniper pairs.  We also lowered the rest to the ground and escorted them to our headquarters, where our operatives and staff officers talked to them.
The picture was as follows: this four managed to escape from the terrorists during the capture and hide in the attic.  They saw me with Sergei Dyachenko at night, when we were climbing on the roof with flashlights, but they got scared and did not open up to us, mistaking them for Chechens.  Most importantly, they made their way to the attic THROUGH THE CORRIDOR LEADING FROM THE THEATER BUILDING.  Well, great, here it is – the path of the passage!  We take a silent weapon – and for further reconnaissance.  It was not so!  Not even an hour had passed when friends called and said with laughter that they had just had the pleasure of watching my gray mane on one of the television channels.  “How great are you, Sasha, in your years you climb on the roofs!”  They snapped.  I went into an indescribable fury.  If the operator who set me up on the air was nearby, he would have lowered me from the roof, but without the cradle!  No, well, that’s a shame!  And what were the television bosses thinking about?  They “burned” such a corridor for us!  For them, this is an “informational occasion”, but for us it is a ruined opportunity to save someone else!  In general, immediately after this “television” incident, the management forbade us to work through this entrance.  An hour later, the snipers confirmed that the terrorists had already examined “our” attic and must have placed mines there.
And the negotiations were already in full swing.  Foreign journalists, Politkovskaya, Kobzon, Roshal … Everything went according to the classic scenario.  The terrorists were given “sweets”, but we worked according to our plan.  By spetsnaz.  Over the next day, the FSB technicians carefully, without disturbing the peace of the terrorists, “improved” the architectural merits of the hall.  The guys cut out a plasterboard wall, dismantled the masonry brick by brick and found a wooden door that served as an exit … directly to the theater hall.  The door, of course, was barricaded by the terrorists from the inside.  Having drilled a tiny hole in the soft wood with even greater precautions, we introduced a micro-TV there, determined where the floor is, where the ceiling is, made sure that we were “going out” into the hall … Before the storm, 70 FSB special forces fighters entered the theater  complex.
Sergey V, an employee of Group A, recalls:
– The one who says that the victory was easy for us is mistaken.  They say that everything was done by the gas, but groups “A” and “B” just entered and fired control shots.
Yes, indeed, other services let gas in, but we ensured the safety of this event.  And that came with a lot of risk.
The “Alpha” fighter Sergei Dyachenko was in his position for about 10 hours.  He could not get up, much less leave.  Terrorists almost walked on it.  But Sergei fulfilled his task.
By the decree of the President of the Russian Federation, Colonel Dyachenko Sergei Vladimirovich was awarded the title of Hero of the Russian Federation for the courage and courage shown during the performance of a special assignment.
At present, he continues to serve in a responsible post in the system of state security of Russia.