PMC “Patriot” of the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation Shoigu, which competes with the “Wagnerites” of Prigozhin, appeared near Vuhledar in the Donetsk region, – speaker of the Eastern Group of Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Sergey Cherevaty
PMC “Wagner” and PMC “Patriot” in different theaters of hostilities. Bakhmut – PMC “Wagner” operates there. As I understand it, there is no direct interaction between them and they act autonomously in the same way as the Kadyrovites,”
The speaker of the Eastern Group of Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Sergei Cherevaty, said that the so-called Patriot PMC, associated with Sergei Shoigu and a competitor of the Wagner PMC, was seen in the Ugledar direction. Sergei Cherevaty also stated that the appearance of this group of mercenaries is a sign of a lack of trained military personnel of the RF Armed Forces, and they were forced to use it as well.
Cherevaty noted that PMC “Wagner” operates in the Bakhmut area, and PMC “Patriot” – in the Uludar direction
The Russians, trying to completely capture the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, are pulling “everything that is combat-ready” there; including representatives of the PMC “Patriot” in the Uludar direction, said the speaker of the eastern group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Sergey Cherevaty on the air of the telethon, the video was published on the TSN YouTube channel.
“Against the backdrop of unsuccessful campaigns in the direction of Bakhmut, Avdiivka, Ugledar, they need at least some intermediate victorious result, and they are throwing all their strength. [Sergei] Shoigu, the current minister of defense of the occupiers,” Cherevaty said.
According to him, the Russians are so eager to advance in the Donbass that “they are pulling up everything that is at least somewhat combat-ready in order to achieve some result.
The presenter drew attention to the long-brewing conflict between Shoigu and the founder of the Russian PMC Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin, and asked about the relationship between their private military companies.
“Yes, they are competitive, let’s put it this way. How will it be on the battlefield – in principle, so far [they work] in different theaters of military operations,” Cherevaty said.
He explained that PMC “Wagner” operates in the Bakhmut region, and PMC “Patriot” appeared in the Uludar direction.
“There is no direct hard interaction between them, they act more or less autonomously, like the Kadyrovites,” the speaker added.
In November, Cherevaty said that in the Donetsk region, the Russians use not only Wagner PMCs, but also other private military companies.
The head of the Lugansk OVA, Sergei Gaidai, reported back in the summer that the Russians were sending DRGs, consisting of mercenaries from the Liga PMC, to intelligence.
Information about PMC “Patriot” appeared in the media in 2018. According to the Dozhd TV channel, its participants have been participating in hostilities in Syria since at least the spring of 2018. At the same time, it was noted that the company was allegedly associated with the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. An officer of the Ministry of Defense, comparing the new PMC with the Wagner group, noted that the Patriot “pays more and sets better combat missions.”
In the fall of 2018, the Dozhd TV channel, citing sources, reported that the mercenaries of this PMC may be involved in the murder of Russian journalists in the Central African Republic for investigating the supply of Russian weapons to the Central African Republic
Soldiers of shaky fortune. Who and what is behind PMC “Patriot”
More recently, the most mysterious and closed private military company in Russia was the so-called Wagner PMC, whose fighters participated in the events in the Donbass and Syria .
Soldiers of shaky fortune. Who and what is behind PMC “Patriot”
Recently, the Dozhd TV channel reported on a new PMC – “Patriot”, which not only switched serious military orders to itself, but, as they suggest, could be involved in the death of Russian journalists in the Central African Republic . “Interlocutor” decided to follow in the footsteps of the little-known so far PMC “Patriot”.
Looking for a dangerous job
There are dozens of pages on social networks on the Internet and hundreds of requests on the topic “How to get into a PMC”, “PMC vacancies”, “Recruitment in a PMC”.
“This is fast big money, and adrenaline, and, I don’t want to seem pretentious, an idea,” Alexander, one of the thousands of Russian “soldiers of fortune”, tells the Sobesednik. – For example, I went to the Donbass more for ideological reasons, and to Syria for money reasons. And so do many people I know.
Alexander is funny and a little flattering with the definition of “soldiers of fortune”. He says that their favorite playful greeting in the detachment was “hello, losers.”
– On the few official PMC websites available, the requirements are indicated as to James Bond: knowledge of English, decent appearance, no criminal record and problems with the law. In fact, about 70% of us were just the same problematic – who did not get along with the law, who had debts. So the selection is very simple: I ran 3 km, did 15-20 push-ups, held a weapon in my hands – it’s already good. Now the Syrian epic is coming to an end, and I dream of getting into the Patriot, but this is such a closed topic that it’s not so easy to get into it, Alexander thinks.
Do not go to Africa for a walk
In open official sources about the “Patriot” – nothing. They do not have a website, phone number, contact persons.
– “Wagnerites” after a couple of their high-profile scandalous failures are not really expected in the “Patriot”, – Evgeny Shabaev, chairman of the All-Russian Officers’ Assembly committee, comments on Alexander’s plans, confirming the rumors that their more professional colleagues call Wagner fighters “musicians” – by association with the German composer. – Since 2014, the Wagner PMC has been involved in the Donbass, solving combat missions, quickly eliminating the problems that arose before the leadership of the self-proclaimed republics. In 2015, it was planned to attract its fighters to Syria. Two problems were solved in this way: the distraction of Donbass veterans, who, having returned to Russia with such experience, could create problems, and the second – commercial goals, such as guarding and seizing oil facilities, defense and, if necessary, participation in hostilities. But by 2016, geopolitical and commercial interests emerged in Asia and Africa. And no one wanted to rely only on Wagner.
This is how the “Patriot” appeared – an even more closed and complex structure than its predecessor.
The Russians have come
“Patriot” is a code name, just like “Wagner,” continues Shabaev. – The legislation of many African countries allows you to register and liquidate any individual entrepreneur or LLC within 24 hours. Opened a military or security structure – and shoot legally. In the structure of “Patriot”, as far as I know, there are more than 10 firms, read: detachments or mini-PMCs, with their own tasks. They work in Sudan, Gabon, the Central African Republic. Together it is thousands of people.
According to the expert, Russia is helping to preserve the state system in the diamondiferous Central African Republic, where three different groups are fighting among themselves. In fact, they protect the president. In the photo of the head of the CAR F.-A. Touaders in the background are always visible broad-shouldered Slavic guys.
The far right is the President of the Central African Republic, the far left with glasses is a Russian instructor // photo: AFP / East News
– Officially, Russia sent 5 military and 170 civilian advisers to the Central African Republic in the spring, – Shabaev confirmed.
Specialists from Russia live in the former residence of the “cannibal” president Bokassa. And journalists from Russia stopped by at the same address on the very day they were killed.
In general, armed Russian people in Africa are no longer a rarity.
This year, the private military, which operates absolutely legally in the United States, unlike Russia, turned to Trump that they underearned $3.7 billion on contracts. At the same time, semi-official structures from Russia appear on the international security market, which undertake to do the same work at a significant discount and often no worse in quality …
“We are not, we are ghosts,” Alexander says.
The law on PMCs was procrastinated for several years, but was never adopted. The government crushed the bill. The state is not ready to legitimize any private armies and give arms to merchants. But he also does not refuse to use people who, as it were, do not exist. At the same time, the practice has already been developed.
– According to the contracts, we are security guards, employees of oil companies, specialists, advisers, consultants – anyone, but not the military. The contract contains a clause on non-disclosure of information about work for 5 years, Alexander quotes the contract.
Until recently, Wagner was paid 150-240 thousand rubles a month, sometimes plus “combat” 3 thousand a day. In Patriot, they say, the stakes are higher – from 400 thousand to a million.
“But the tasks there are more serious: not only security, but also intellectual, information, and cyber services, if necessary,” Shabaev clarifies. – And the selection is appropriate – people with a serious track record, and not just volunteers with a desire to fight.
The contract is standard.
– The next of kin to be contacted in the event of death must be indicated. Insurance for the “200th” (corpse) – 3-5 million rubles to relatives. It is agreed that the company will make every effort to deliver the body to its homeland, but does not guarantee this. The wounded are taken out and treated free of charge in military hospitals. During the trip, no one has any documents with them, only tokens are issued, by the numbers on which they recognize the dead and wounded. They also communicate by call signs, not everyone even knows their last names. Phones are taken away so that there is no leakage, but some experienced comrades get out of the situation – they buy mobile phones on the spot, – Alexander describes the details of the life of private military men.
– Legally, they are nobody, – Colonel-General , President of the Academy of Geopolitical Problems , commented to the InterlocutorLeonid Ivashov . – They formally work for private business. At the same time, they are thrown into combat situations. Even for injuries, they receive one-time compensation, and then how can they live? In the event of death, a family pension is also not assigned. These people are out of the legal field. Their companies, by the way, are all registered offshore and do not pay a penny to the budget from their earnings. At the same time, ordinary guys, as already happened, can be thrown into destruction. You can’t treat people like that. If the state wants to attract military specialists to solve its problems, return them to the service. With all conditions. But it is more profitable to act through the sharashkin office.
The head of one of the oldest PMCs in Russia, the CEO of PMC Moran Security Group, Alexei Badikov, answered Sobesednik’s questions about the prospects for the adoption of a law on private military companies in our country:
– As far as we understand, the authorities do not intend to accept it and, accordingly, legalize this area of activity. In addition, no one has officially spoken out either, so the departments’ arguments on this issue have not been made public.
Our activity is now concentrated on the provision of maritime security services. Now we are working in the Indian Ocean and in the Gulf of Guinea. In particular, we protect ships in Nigeria (Lagos – Port Harcourt – Lagos) and on the route Suez (Egypt) – Galle (Sri Lanka).